Revolutions per mile

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Crash-Test Dummy on October 07, 1999 at 15:27:53:

Why is it that when I try to calculate the revolutions per mile for a tire (using its width, aspect ratio and wheel diameter) I always seem to come up different number than the manufacturers list in their brochures and websites? The one reason I can think of for my not being able to calculate it is tire "growth" due to centripetal force while rolling.

When I went to Tire Rack's website's winter tire area and told it what kind of car I have, it came back with different "minus 1" tire sizes than my calculations indicated. My car has OEM 215/50-16 tires, and Tire Rack's website recommended I go with 205/60-15 rather than the 185/65-15 I calculated as being closest in circumference to my OEM's.

I have also noticed that, for a given tire size, two tire manufacturers are likely to list different revolutions per mile. Do the manufacturers caclulate the revolutions per mile, or is it measured?

Appreciate all help.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Revolutions per mile

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.