Re: Dunlop SP8000, Michelin XGT V4/H4, Dunlop SP4000, Yokohama Avid V4, or Comp T/A ZR???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by robmoz on September 16, 1997 at 18:05:51:

In Reply to: Dunlop SP8000, Michelin XGT V4/H4, Dunlop SP4000, Yokohama Avid V4, or Comp T/A ZR??? posted by Bradley on September 14, 1997 at 02:13:25:

I just bought 4 Avid V4s for my 94 Integra VTEC two weeks ago. I really was not very pleased with the stock Michelins (same XGT V4s as on your 'lude). I got 205/55-15s and they fit fine on my 15x6 wheels. So far, so good. I wanted something that was M&S rated (living in the D.C. area, this is a requirement). I am overall very pleased with them. They don't squeal on corners like the Michelins did and they tend to give my car more neutral balance (reduce understeer). In fact, I can actually float the back end a little instead of plowing through every corner like I'm used to w/ a front-wheel drive car. Only a little rain so far, but I think they did pretty well (I completely agree w/ your assessment of the Michelins wet performance). The AVIDs are directional and have two large grooves down the middle, which seem like they'd do well in heavy rain, but again, I have pretty limited experience with rain so far. Obviously, I have no idea how their snow performance will be. They are rated 360 for tradwear (I think) and the Michelins were 240, so thats 50% better. I am amazed you got 65k miles out of yours; I only got 35k miles out of mine. I prob. drive a little harder, plus I wanted good tread depth for upcoming snow.

No offense, but David seems very partial to Dunlops in all of his posts. I have nothing against Dunlops, but I would be wary of more often than weekly posts about one brand. My apologies to David if your motives are other than what I have implied. I'm just saying, take all posts (including mine!) with a grain of salt. Although I will say I am not affiliated w/ any part of the tire business. Having said that, I got my yokos through the Tire Rack for $84 apiece + $27 next day shipping for all four. W/ regards to the other tires you mentioned, all but the SP8000 are all-season (if this is a factor for you). All but the SP8000 are under $100. From what I've heard the SP8000 and SP9000 are very good performance tires but are quite pricey. This is a significant factor for those of us who wear out a set of tires every two or so years. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, just post back and I'll try to respond in a timely manner.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Dunlop SP8000, Michelin XGT V4/H4, Dunlop SP4000, Yokohama Avid V4, or Comp T/A ZR???

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.