Re: Help!!! Can a high performance tire be plugged?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce O'Docharty on September 05, 1997 at 18:11:13:

In Reply to: Help!!! Can a high performance tire be plugged? posted by Manny on September 05, 1997 at 10:19:43:

Hi Manny,
Whoever told you high-performance tires can't be repaired was probably a tire salesman wanting to sell you new tires.
(considering the cost of hi-po tires, that could be quite a commission!) I own a 1995 Corvette ZR1, my tires are massively
wide, and I've pick up a few nails and screws, and have had them safely repaired. I would recommend patching the tire though,
plugs are quick and cheap but have been known to "remove themselves" from the centrifical force of the tire spinning. To patch
it safely the tire must be removed, patched by a "competent" tire technician, then reinstalled and balanced on the rim. It's
a little more costly then plugging, but a whole lot safer, and cheaper than buying a new tire. I've run with patched tires at
sustained speeds over 160MPH (on a racetrack) for extended periods without any problems. (of course I wouldn't recommend going that fast on
repaired tires, I'm just making a point.)

Hope this helps,

Bruce O'Docharty

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Help!!! Can a high performance tire be plugged?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.