Re: Michelin V's to Dunlop H's for Acura CL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wes on May 27, 1999 at 09:21:38:

In Reply to: Michelin V's to Dunlop H's for Acura CL posted by TF on May 26, 1999 at 23:44:23:

It depends on your driving style. For most of us who do not race or autocross our cars, H-rated tires are more than adequate. H-rated tires are built to withstand speeds of up to 130mph while V-rated tires are rated for up to 149mph. For the additional 19mph which you may never use, you are paying a higher price, and giving up ride comfort. V-rated tires are usually give bumpier ride because of needless stiffness made to take the high speeds. There may be a real need for V-rated tires in some European countries where they do drive at high speeds but in North America, I doubt they are necessary. I was also caught up in the ultra high performance tire craze once but found out that the tires were 'outperforming' my car and my driving needs and I wasted my money. Most tire dealers and tire companies will try to convince you that by buying anything less than high performance tires, you are compromising your car's performance but that's garbage. How can they tell you what you need before they find out what your driving style is? I seriously question anyone who gives you recommendations without first asking you how you drive your car. Truth is these tire dealers make tremendous amount of profits off luring people in buying these products which they don't need. My car owners' manual even said going with lower rated tire is OK as long as they are adequate for the speed you drive at.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Michelin V's to Dunlop H's for Acura CL

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.