Wrong size tires?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bomber_bob on August 23, 1999 at 23:41:21:

I bought a used 88 VW Jetta GLi that I think has the wrong size tires. Speedometer is off 10 miles an hour, when it says 70, I am only going 60 (I clocked it). Also, engine is revving like a sewing machine on the highway, my Aerostar van probably turns half the RPM that the Jetta does, almost 4000 at 70 MPH. A dealer I questioned said the GLi's are geared for performance, and so naturally run higher RPMs. I gotta think that running 4K on the highway is humming to an early grave/junkyard. Tranny is original, no aftermarket gears installed that I know of.
So, with 185/60 series 14 inch tires, did the previous owner put the wrong tires on this car and cause this double trouble, speedo off by 10 MPH AND high revving too? The tires are almost due for replacement, would a larger diameter tire solve my problem?
bomber_bob@prodigy.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Wrong size tires?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.