Re: Re: Re: Defective Firestone Firehawk SZ50 Tires

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on April 06, 1999 at 02:06:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Defective Firestone Firehawk SZ50 Tires posted by Patrick Simpson on July 11, 1998 at 22:20:14:

I ran a set of SZ50s on my Mercedes. The tire handles very well in the dry with a quite predictable nature near the limit. The wet traction is also impressive. However getting and keeping these things permenently balanced is not happening. They never seem to be perfectly balanced. You get vibrations only at certain speeds. 45mph, 75mph, etc. I also noticed they flatspotted badly when I went on vacation then came back and drove the car after the car had been sitting in the garage for a week. Not horribly, but I know my car's feel well enough to detect...well you get the picture. Another strike against them is that they only lasted approx 15K despite proper heat cycling and 3-4K rotation. Yeah they handled well wet and dry, but all that (bridgestone derived?) technology didn't buy them any better treadlife than the RE71's I had on before. Granted the RE71's were darty at the limit. I drive aggressivley but they fared no better than the RE71's or the OEM michelins in treadlife. My 92 500E is due for replacement rubber again in a month or so...I think I'll try the Michelin MXXX3 or the Yokohama AVS Intermediate or AVS Sport. I was interested in the S02's till I read the recent review in Automobile magazine. Oh, if anyone knows of any tires in the 235/50/16 size that are ultra-high performance I would appreciate it. So far I only know of the Pilot MXM(being discontinued I'm told), AVS intermediate, a Conti (gag reflex), and some snow tires. Snow traction is irrelevant, dry paramount, wet is second to dry, treadlife is third. I welcome all mature responses...Lee

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Defective Firestone Firehawk SZ50 Tires

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.