Re: Re: Re: Potenza S-02 vs. SZ-50 vs. Eagle F1 GS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on March 30, 1999 at 23:27:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Potenza S-02 vs. SZ-50 vs. Eagle F1 GS posted by Gregg on March 20, 1999 at 18:10:30:

I have run both the bridgestone's and the SZ50's on my 1993 Mercedes-Benz 400E. The 225/50/16 SZ50's on 16x8" wheels has alterted the personality of the car. The stock 195/65/15 touring tires were not up to the task of a 3600 lb vehicle with 300 lb-ft of torque. With the new rolling stock the car became much more of a sports sedan or "4dr sports car". I have no complaints with ride, noise, or even handling. I can take 25mph posted offramps at close to triple that. My only complaint with the SZ50s is that they wore unevenly and rather rapidly despite being rotated every 3K miles. I do drive aggressivly but other "ultra-high performance" tires I have had lasted a bit better and definitly more evenly. Since treadwear is one of that tire's big selling points that was a disappointment. If I wanted balls out handling with no concern for treadlife I would buy Michelin MXXX3's. The ride is about the same and the wet is much better.(sz50 vs potenza) In the dry its a wash but the SZ50's are a good deal cheaper than the potenzas. BTW the Automobile mag test was on the basis of them contacting a bunch of manufacturers and using what the tire companies sent. TireRack classifies the SZ50 as "ultra-high peformance". Bottom line is the SZ50 is the best compromise of handling, ride, and cost to date. There are individual tires that will be superior in one or maybe even two areas but it is the best all around "bang for the buck" IMHO. I have not driven the Dunlop 9000's or the F1's but I think we should all pressure Tirerack for a 3-way comparo of the SZ50, F1 GS, and SP9000. I am due for new tires soon so that test would be quite timely.

Sincerely,
Lee

www.mercedesshop.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Potenza S-02 vs. SZ-50 vs. Eagle F1 GS

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.