Re: Should I change tire size from 215/55/16 to 225/50/16?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on January 19, 1999 at 06:09:22:

In Reply to: Should I change tire size from 215/55/16 to 225/50/16? posted by Steve on January 18, 1999 at 20:33:59:

Well, it's pretty simple. Your first considerations are maintaining OE tire hieght (diameter) and proper fit on the wheel. In both these considerations you are pushing the limits. Your OE tire (215/55R16) is approx. 25.31" and a 225/50R16 is approx. 24.85", so you are looking at about a .5" reduction in overall tire hieght. This will create a larger gap in your fender well, and because the 225 is shorter it will have more rev's per mile effecting you speedometer and gearing.
The OE wheel is listed as 6.5" wide. Optimal rim width for a 225/50R16 is 7" - 7.5", it will fit on a 6.5" wheel and work but it would not be my first choice if there was an option.
You may expirience a little better steering response due to the shorter sidewall hieght and wider contact patch, but this could also contribute to a decrease in ride quality at the same time.
You may want to reconsider this change over. If you are looking to improve the handling characteristics and performance of the tire/vehicle you would probably be better off selecting a tire in your OE size that would accomplish this more efficiently. There are several options available depending upon what your other criteria for a tire would be. Shop around.
'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Should I change tire size from 215/55/16 to 225/50/16?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.