Re: New tire/wheel combo for my Volvo 850R?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on September 03, 1997 at 01:05:50:

In Reply to: New tire/wheel combo for my Volvo 850R? posted by Guy Taylor on September 01, 1997 at 21:09:35:

Guy
Unfortunately you have what is refered to as a "one off" original equiptment size tire. Meaning it is not easily found in as a replaceemnt option from many tire manafatuers. Pirelli and Volvo got you on that one! But there is hope!

Options -

You have already mentioned one of them. Swtching to 16'' wheels. In that case the 850 came with a 205/55R16. A size with plentiful replacement options. Any Volvo dealer or specialty repair shop should jump at the opportunity to obtain a set of 17'' OE Volvo wheels in exchange for the 16''. You can then go two routes for tires. One being a capable 16'' all season version that can provide you with reasonable snow traction. The Dunlop SP4000 as recomended by Steve V would be an excellent choice. Two being, running a "summer/all season tire, The Dunlop SP9000 will surpase all of your tire needs & expectations, and running a true winter/snow tire durring the applicable time of year.

The problem is there is really no exact (205/45R17) size snow tire produced. You could vary the size by running a 225/45R17 for winter tire applications - Check tire clearances on your vehicle first, then use a "summer" tire of your choice as well.

As a general replacement tire you could as well switch to 215/45R17 or 235/40R17 as a standard replacement tire for year round use. both 24.5'' tall in comparison to 24.3'' tall ( or Overall Diameter) on your original 205/45R17. This would open your replacement tire options to a wider varity of choices. Again the Dunlop SP9000 is available.

If I haven't thoroughly confused you yet, one of your best options if you really want to keep your OE wheel package is to run a separate wheel/tire package for winter driving and save your OE set up for "summer". Then all you have to do is "bolt on" the complete package as the seasons change - no extra mounting & balancing required, saves time, money and potential damage to your 17'' OE wheels. The Tire Rack is an excelent source for complete packages such as this. Check out their web sit @ tirerack.com. As well check out the Dunlop Tire site @ dunloptire.com for replacement tire options and get those nasty Pirelli's off your nice vehicle.

Again If I haven't confused you, I hope it helped. You are additionaly welcome to e-mail me if you need cleaification on any of my comments.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: New tire/wheel combo for my Volvo 850R?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.