205-55-15 size substitution for Mazda 626

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Mathews on July 11, 1998 at 23:23:47:

I've a '96 Mazda 626 V-6. Very nice car, but unfortunately uses a tire size of 205-55-15, H-rated. Since I live in Northern NM where it snows, I need an H-rated all-season tire. There's almost nothing availablle anymore in 205-55-15. (The original tires are Michelin XGT H4's - no longer available in this size.) The only 'H' all-season I've found in this size is the Bridgestone Pontenza R92, and I'm not excited about its wear rating.
So - I'm thinking of going to a 195-60-15. According to the charts, the diameter is almost exactly the same as a 205-55-15. I realize I'll lose some handling, but I seem to have little choice.
Both the Dunlop D60 A2 and the Bridgestone Potenza RE930 are made in the 195-60-15 size. Tire Rack liked the Potenza better, ranking it quieter.
Does anyone know which is better in the snow? We _do_ get some here!
Any other comments appreciated. BTW, brands available in Santa Fe are limited to the majors - i.e., no Nitto or Falken. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: 205-55-15 size substitution for Mazda 626

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.