Re: Superior tire assistance for everyone.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on October 20, 1999 at 14:59:36:

In Reply to: Superior tire assistance for everyone. posted by The Tire God on September 23, 1999 at 10:05:30:

Dear Tire God:

My '99 Intrepid came with 205/70R15 Goodyear Conquests, which blow. I will be replacing them before long, and am considering resizing.

I can do the math, and have worked out o.d. for just about every combination up to 17" rims and down to 50 profiles.
But I really need to know what will get me what I want: improved dry and wet traction, improved steering response, lower noise, and not a huge sacrifice in smoothness. I'm in the South, so snow traction is a non-issue.
So, do I keep the 15's and go wider (but prob would still have to replace the 6"rims)? How much comfort do I sacrifice at 65/60/55/50 ratios? What price (besides fuel economy) do I pay for wider tires (235/55 would *look* good, but what am I doing to myself?)

Also, how do I factor in different rim widths when calculationg outside diameter? And how much variance from OEM o.d. is acceptable for Speedo/odo accuracy? (No ABS here).

And finally- if you're not racing, are alloy wheels are they are cracked up to be? Is there a really good reason why I shouldn't save my pennies and stick with steel?

Note: 225/60R16s are a factory option on this car, so that at least should be a safe size.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Superior tire assistance for everyone.

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.