Re: Tire Pressure for High Performance Tires?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steel on June 08, 1999 at 01:41:26:

In Reply to: Tire Pressure for High Performance Tires? posted by Bill Gowland on June 07, 1999 at 16:00:05:

Bill,
It may or may not be the right pressure for you. The rule of thumb is to check what the manufacturer says...it is usually on a sticker inside the glovebox door or inside the door opening of the car. The reason for this is that the manufacturer knows how much the car weighs and other specifics...so they will be able to give you the most accurate inflation pressure. Use this number and not the one on the side of the tire, which usually is the maximum pressure for the tire. Now you can go a few pounds over what the manufacturer recommends (though a few might disagree with me) for a little better mileage though the right comfort might decrease a bit. However, 42 psi seems to be a bit higher than average. It might have been a mistake, or it could have just been a guess of some sort by the tire place. What is good is that you checked them...I have bought tires before and found as much as 15 psi difference...some places kinda fill tires as an aferthought. So it is good you checked because running a pressure that is way off for long enough can cause tire problems a whole lot earlier than you would like.
So from your size I would guess you have either a Camaro or a Firebird. Check the glovebox and run a psi that is close to what the maker recommends...the 32 psi that you have now sounds closer to being right. Anyways, have fun with the new tires and drive happy!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Tire Pressure for High Performance Tires?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.