Re: Lug Nut Torque

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Morrelles on May 19, 1999 at 22:24:25:

In Reply to: Lug Nut Torque posted by John Morrelles on May 19, 1999 at 14:56:34:

I did a little research into the Torque Sticks. Apparently, they're for real. It beats me how a solid piece of metal can moderate the torque of an impact wrench to an exact torque range, but that's how the product is advertised.

The other info I located indicates that the idiots using the things can still manage to over-torque your lug nuts. By ramming one nut down first, the specified torque may be achieved, but the wheel is not seated just right against the hub. Ramming the next nut down to the specified torque forces the wheel to seat against the hub and springs the first lug causing the effective torque of the first nut to be significantly higher than the rating for the torque stick in use. Bingo! I can't get the thing off with a hand wrench.

Lug nuts should still be hand-tightened using a proper criss-cross pattern BEFORE the Torque Sticks and an impact wrench are used. In addition to the annoyance of not being able to change a tire by hand, failing to tighten evenly warps your brake surface (discs or drums) and causes the pedal to pulse and the car to shake while braking.

If you idiot-proof it, somebody will invent a better idiot.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Lug Nut Torque

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.