Re: Tire sizes in olden times

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steel on May 05, 1999 at 12:32:03:

In Reply to: Tire sizes in olden times posted by Larrry Wheat on May 03, 1999 at 12:25:20:

Larrry, there were a couple of olden days sizeing methods...on was the "letter" sizes method (used on old Mickey Thompson's, among others) and the other was inch sizes. Letter sizes looked like this: A60-13, F70-14, G78-15 What the letter meant was the width, the first number was the profile, and the last number was the rim size. So transfered over to modern sizes, those three examples would equal: 195/60-13, 225/70-14, and last last one, while not being exact because there is no 78 series anymore, would be close to a 205/78-15.
Inch sizes are what you need I think to find out what you want. All I have to do is convert them over to millimeters (times 1 inch by 25.4 for millimeters)So the tire you have above would be a 6.5-whatever diameter it is. So if you gave me that, I could give you approximately what size "modern" tire you would want...say if it was a 14 inch rim, you would be looking at a 195/60-14, or a 175/70-14, or 165-14 (80 series)
As far as I know, the old sizes did not have a "profile" measurement...but I am limited to what this chart tells me. And i don't know if there was a "standard" size....but for most part the inch sizes were the industry standard (at least for American vehicles) from 65-77. So I hope all of this helps....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Tire sizes in olden times

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.