Re: Replacement tires for BMW 540I

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gregg on March 20, 1999 at 18:28:12:

In Reply to: Replacement tires for BMW 540I posted by Stan on March 14, 1999 at 19:33:10:

Check out bimmer.org for E39 message board from time to time for some posts and responses, including from moi... Have heard v.g., things about Firestone SZ50--as another responder here has mentioned, avail in 16" size.
Alsom if all season a concern, try Michelin Pilot XGTZ-4s. Dunlops mentioned in another response here are very sticky, but short lived and yesterday's tech. But he's right, they're cheap now, but I believe finally on their way out and limited size availability woudl suggest that. I'd more recommend the Dunlop SP 8000s "replaced" in turn by the 9000s (also very good/some like 'em better, some don't and swear by the "old" 8000s)...but which are also relatively a bargain now--Tire Rack has the 225 size on "special" now as cheap as D40s!! (because of 9000s I'm sure).... The 8000s are a legendary tire with their own almost-cult following that "took over" the crown from the D40. Some also say they're also on their way out--if so, it'll be due to a change of Dunlop policy in keeping their old best sellers around...The D40's been around a lot longer than the 80000s that replaced it! Some say the 8000s flat spot a bit in the cold til warmed up, but have heard no other sustained complaints. Also, there's the Pirelli P7000 Supersport with good general reviews as all around hi-perf tire (except perhaps in wet--see Automobile Mag's latest comparo)......

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Replacement tires for BMW 540I

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.