Re: Blizzak MZ-02 reviews?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wayne on January 28, 1999 at 17:50:30:

In Reply to: Blizzak MZ-02 reviews? posted by Mark on January 26, 1999 at 08:24:02:

First, I do not own the MZ-02, but I have owned the original Blizzak and now, the Yokohama Guardex (along with other winter tires). As far as the MZ-02 goes, it is (based on others I know who have them) superior on ice over the Blizzak. However, the ice compound is still only in the first 50%, at which time you have a very poor all season tire. The original Blizzak was ok on snow, but not so good on ice. The Guardex is ok on snow but very good on ice. For warm weather driving, none of these is as good as a regular all season, but they are adequate if kept within their limits. I prefer the full tread depth Yokohama design, but to each their own. Another tire to consider is the Michelin Artic Alpin (also a studless tire). Oh yes, why studless tires? Because if you ever had to recover from a skid, you will know why I don't use studded tires anymore.

Which is the best? That's highly subjective. Don't be mislead by the Tire Rack tire tests, which would indicate that the Blizzak is the best. For on the road ice use, I have found that starting/stopping is best on studded winter tires (note the winter tire designation - there are studdable tires without winter rubber compounds) but they are poor for handling (not to mention noise and road damage). For all around use, the Yokohamas work the best for me. They are not great on warm days, but when you need ice traction, they are better than any other studless tire I (or others I know of) have tried.

Just a quick note, any winter tire (even studdable ones without studs) will be superior in cold weather driving on ice and snow than all season designs.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Blizzak MZ-02 reviews?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email imageemail image

Last modified 01/14/99. Copyright ©1995-99 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, UNILOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.