Re: Re: Re: Canadian Tire "NORDIC ICETRAC or NORDIC WINTERTRAC" Snow Tires?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Stewart on January 10, 1999 at 10:36:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Canadian Tire "NORDIC ICETRAC or NORDIC WINTERTRAC" Snow Tires? posted by Scott Tattrie on January 05, 1999 at 16:13:03:

I, too, did some research and as some of the other respondents have already mentioned found out that the Nordic WinterTrac tire is the same as the BFGoodrich Slalom...a new winter tire that was being marketed like crazy with advertisements on TSN in November/December.

That being said, they are, in effect, made by Michelin since Michelin North America owns the tire brands Uniroyal, BFGoodrich and some others on this continent. The same is true in Europe. They are, however, absolutely *not* the same tire. I thought long and hard over the Michelin Arctic Alpin vs. the WinterTrac (you guessed the criteria: price!) and decided on the Michelins. I even dealt Canadian Tire down on the price! Also, there are numerous tests + anecdotal evidence on the Arctic Alpin but not on the new Canadian Tire models. Tirerack, though I question their methods and motives (ie: are there real engineers publishing these tests or are they salesmen?) rated the Arctic Alpin above the new MZ02 Blizzak in terms of dry-road handling and at least equivalent in ice grip. Curiously, though their test was limited to stopping and starting on an ice rink they still recommended the older model Blizzak ahead of the Arctic Alpin for deep snow. Curious.

I'll let the BBS know (if anyone cares) my impressions on the Michelins.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canadian Tire "NORDIC ICETRAC or NORDIC WINTERTRAC" Snow Tires?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.