Remington XT-120Tires - Tread Separation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Vito on August 16, 1998 at 23:47:20:

While traveling at 70 mph on an Interstate returning from a Family Vacation, the left rear tire on our Chrysler Town and Country Minivan blew out. Fortunately, I was able to maintain control and safely got the car off the road. It felt like the tread had come off the tire and then 10-20 seconds later the tire blew. The entire tread came completely off the tire not just a section. The bad news was that the peeling tread did quite a bit of physical damage including crumpling the inlet nozzle to the gas tank; and thereby delaying our return from the vacation for two days. The dealership that did the repairs said that the tread had separated from the belts. Closer examination showed that the left front and right rear were showing signs of the same problem. Thus, 3 out of the 4 Remington tires had defects. The tires had 30,000 miles on them and are warranted for 80,000 miles. I have had the tires rotated frequently and have had no problems with wheel alignment. This incident will cost me a little more than $2000 between a new set of tires, repairing the physical damage, and living expenses for a family of 5 for 2 full days (meals and lodging). I am working with my local Remington Dealer (who originally sold me the tires) so far it looks like I might get replacement value for the 4 tires. However, I will probably get nothing more than "we feel your pain" about the cost of the rest of the event.

What I am trying to find out is if this is a recurring problem with Remington Tires? If so, I would much more aggressively pursue a larger reimbursement. I would be very interested in hearing about others experiences with Remington Tires. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Remington XT-120Tires - Tread Separation

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.