Re: Re: Michelin Pilot MXM 205/50/ZR16 tires on Volvo 850 T

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Elliott on August 13, 1998 at 13:27:34:

In Reply to: Re: Michelin Pilot MXM 205/50/ZR16 tires on Volvo 850 T posted by Russell D. Ollie on July 22, 1998 at 12:41:17:

I totally disagree with your assessment of the XC you mention and its ride quality...But I
suspect it depends alot on your individual perspective. For instanceI drive a '95 854T, equipped with
several aftermarket performance parts like ECU generating 275 Hp, sway bars, and sport
exhaust. I too drove an XC yesterday as a loaner, but unlike you, compared to my daily
ride, I found it to be way too soft for enjoyment, and found the 190 hp engine to be
way to unresponsive, and the added wt of the 4wd setup hurt acceleration...For a comfortable
unexciting but well made ride, it fills the bill...But as an enjoyable experience, I found
it sorely lacking...And, like you say, I plan on upgrading my current 205/55-16 XGTV4 s as
soon as they wear out...BUT, I'm going to 205/50-16, because you've got to remember that
Volvo originally equipped this model with the 50 series tire, and going to the 55 series
increases overall diameter from 24.1" to 24.9", which is considered to be a large increase,
and one which renders the existing gearing considerably less effective at acceleration. Its
still good, but its a difference you can feel. While alot of folks have commented on the
harsh ride of the T5 s, I even find the ride after I've installed the sway bars, which
usually makes it even harsher, to be not bad, and I prefer the feel and crispness I have
with the shorter side wall...Personally, while I thought the XC was a nice car for my
75 year old parents , and for those who value quality and efficiency but not too much
excitement in their locomotion, It did absolutely nothing for me, except whet my appetite
and my appreciation for my 854T! to each his own..........

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Michelin Pilot MXM 205/50/ZR16 tires on Volvo 850 T

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.