Re: Re: Dunlop SP Sport 4000 A/S vs Michelin XGT V4 vs Bridgestone Potenza RE92 vs Goodyear Eagle GT+4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JM on July 15, 1998 at 09:47:38:

In Reply to: Re: Dunlop SP Sport 4000 A/S vs Michelin XGT V4 vs Bridgestone Potenza RE92 vs Goodyear Eagle GT+4 posted by MB on July 10, 1998 at 09:54:29:

Yes, MB was right, I can't resist! Well, if you do check below, you'll see how I feel about Michelins and Dunlops. Well, here's the whole thing: I bought my MX-6 in '97, with the original RE71s on it. I replaced them with the Dunlops which were fabulous in the dry, but wore out quickly even when rotated, and were abominable in the rain. I know our car is light, but at 50 mph, I shouldn't be hydroplaning on NEW tires! So, since I was on a pretty tight budget, I did some research....I found that in our limited size, the best deal was the Nitto 450. It has a directional pattern (great for rain) and also a 45k mi. treadwear warranty. I just ordered them through Discount Tire (www.tires.com)for $85 a piece. I really like the tire for everyday use. They're fabulous in the rain, stick pretty well in the dry (not bad for 45k mile tire) and are quiet. I've been autocrossing with them, and I still haven't seen any sign of wear.

So, in comparing the tires you have listed, the Potenzas might be your best. MB had the Michelins on an Acura Integra (1st gen) and had them on his '94 Prelude VTEC. He absolutely hated them......horrible in the rain. I had the GT+4s on a Talon, and found that they were pretty average...not great at anything. They didn't last too long, either. MB really likes his Falken Ziex, which, I might have gone with had I more money....the larger 225/50-15 size is real nice, too, if you can afford it (the Nittos come in that size as well).

Bottom line.......the Falken's or the Nitto's...the Falken's are a little stickier and will only last for @30k mi. The Nitto's will last a little longer, but will sacrifice the dry handling. However, if you go with the Falken's (which have a very similar tread design), you'll have to go with the larger size (I think.....check their website...www.falkentire.com?). It's your call! Good luck, and if you have anymore MX-6 ?'s, please email me at synthcomposer@hotmail.com

JM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Dunlop SP Sport 4000 A/S vs Michelin XGT V4 vs Bridgestone Potenza RE92 vs Goodyear Eagle GT+4

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.