"soft sidewalls"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by rob on June 13, 1998 at 16:53:55:

Hi,

Having been talked out of buying Bridgestone potenza re-71 tires by several local dealers
(low treadwear, poor in cold weather (below 40 degrees F), not great in wet, awful in snow),
I decided to purchase the michelin mxv4-energy tires based on some recommendations on the
net (they said they are vastly superior to "the old mxv4", which i currently own. I called
my trusty tire dealer, who promptly told me that the michelins have "soft sidewalls". Does
it make a difference whether i buy these tires in H or V rating?

What is the significance of this...does it affect handling? What are the benefits or the
disadvantages. P.S. I was also considering the Pirelli P6000, but he said that they are
similar in behavior.

By the way, about the re-71, how bad are they in cold weather? I live in the NE so
cold weather traction is important. Ok, so RE-71's are not good in snow...but just how bad are
they in cold wet weather (just above freezing).

thank you in advance for any help with this. P.S. other suggestions concerning
performance tires that handle extremely well in cold wet weather are welcome.

rob

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: "soft sidewalls"?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.