Re: Dunlop SP8000, Michelin XGT V4/H4, Dunlop SP4000, Yokohama Avid V4, or Comp T/A ZR???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on September 15, 1997 at 07:08:36:

In Reply to: Dunlop SP8000, Michelin XGT V4/H4, Dunlop SP4000, Yokohama Avid V4, or Comp T/A ZR??? posted by Bradley on September 14, 1997 at 02:13:25:

First off, the salesperson has recomended that you downgrade your OE fitment from a "V" to an "H" performance rating. I don't know if you provided him with any information or comments that would have influenced that recomendation but unless you want to sacrafice saftey, handling and performance I would back up and start again. Your vehi le came with a "V" rated tire for a reason and more importantly you have become acustomed to driving on one for the past 65k miles.

You mentioned that handling and traction are "of great importance" to you. STAY with a "V or Z" rated tire.

You have mentioned some very good tires in the Dunlop and Yokohama's. The SP4000 and Avid V4 would be comparable products. The SP8000 would be better in the dry than both, and marginally better in the wet than both. The SP4000 strong suit is more comfortable ride, increased mileage and better in all season; anything more that just rain. It would be the closest to OE level type product but an improvement over your original XGT V4's.

I don't think you would see 65K miles out of the SP8000's, but you would enjoy better performance in every catagory from the mileage you receive. It would be typical to expect up to 30K depending on your maintainence and driving habbits. Remember if you drive aggressively to begin with and you put a better performaing tire on, you will have the ability to drive even harder while maintaining control and therefore you will be wearing the tires faster the harder you drive. That will hold true for any tire.

If you want the perfect balance of performance, wet traction, ride quality and potential mileage form a performance tire you need to check out one more tire. The New Dunlop SP9000, just out, it is an advancement on the incredibly popular SP8000. It is better in the wet and has a UTQG of 280 A A versus the SP8000 with a 200 A A.

Check out he Dunlop web site for more info. I'll link.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Dunlop SP8000, Michelin XGT V4/H4, Dunlop SP4000, Yokohama Avid V4, or Comp T/A ZR???

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.