Re: new tires

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on September 07, 1998 at 22:30:15:

In Reply to: new tires posted by steve on September 05, 1998 at 22:56:43:

My car [ an Infiniti J30 [P215/60R15}] came with Goodyear GA's as well.
The most important thing to realize is the Goodyear GA is a Touring tire
as such it is biased toward ride comfort and low noise. I replaced it with
Dunlop D60A2's which are high performance all season tires. The Bridgestone
Potenza RE930 are also in this class. If you really want touring tires you
may not be happy with either of these. On the other hand if you really want to
high performance [ i.e. tight turns, fast stops, and high speed driving] then
you probably won't like a touring tire. My compromise was the Toyo Proxes H4
which is a high performance all season touring tire. Similarly with Pirelli the P6000 SV
is their high performance all season tire and the P4000 Super Touring is their touring
tire. The Bridgestone has the Turanza. Michelin has the Energy MVX4.

Reality is most peopel are really more happy with a touring tire as they don't have
that much opportunity to use the high performance that a D60A2 etc can give, but usually
find ride comfort and noise more important on the daily commute or business/vacation trip on the
interstates. Since you are driving an Altima, which is not a sports car, you probably would be
better with a touring tire. Note you can get touring tires in H and V ratings in case you like going fast.
All tires I bought for the Infiniti were H rated [130mph] though I have never driven the car at 130 mph.
It is really frustrating to pay good money for four new tires and then quickly find you are not happy
with them because you got the wrong type of tire. Of course, since high performance, all season tires
don't last as long as touring tires you'll get a chance to replace the tires sooner than you might expect.
My D60A2 got only about 35,000 miles.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: new tires

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.