High Treadwear = Low traction = Not a very good Tire ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on August 10, 1998 at 16:32:37:

There are many new S & T rated tires in the market with treadwear rating of 500+ with a
warranty of 80000 miles to Lifetime.

One thing I have notice and I am sure that most of you have noticed is that most H-Rated
tires that have any treadwear warranty is at most 45000 mile or none. I don't know of
any tire that is V or Z rated that has any treadwear warranty. One thing is common:
The higher the speed rating, the stiffer the side wall, the softer tread compound (for
better traction), the faster the tire tread will wear.

What I am getting at is that tires such as Firestone Affinity with 80000 miles and
Dunlop D65T with 6 year / limited warranty in 185/70-14 (and in most other sizes) can not
possibly have traction as good as tires that wear faster such as BFGoodrich TA SR4 & TR4
which lasts around 40000-50000 miles.

In fact, most OEM tires for Mazda, Honda, Toyota and Nissan have very low treadwear,
thus very good traction, handling and ride quality, which is what you want in order
to impress a potential customer. About right after 36000, when the cars warranty goes
out, you need new tires! Funny thing is that, in most cases, the same aftermarket
tires have higher treadwear rating!

I am sure that the Affinity and D65 will last long, but I think the tires will dry rot
before the treat will wear out or is there a free lunch here?

I don't care for Michelin tires :)

Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: High Treadwear = Low traction = Not a very good Tire ?

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.