Re: Michelin Pilot MXM 205/50/ZR16 tires on Volvo 850 T

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russell D. Ollie on July 22, 1998 at 12:41:17:

In Reply to: Michelin Pilot MXM 205/50/ZR16 tires on Volvo 850 T posted by Jill Petrie on July 20, 1998 at 10:44:26:

Jill,

this is a very very common and well documented problem. You will find it mentioned on the Swedishbricks newsgroup all the time. The problem is just as you mentioned, on the low profile tires there isn't enough sidewall to protect your tire / wheel from damage. I used to have a 1994 850 Turbo and went through a few of those expensive Michelin Pilots as well as a Turbo wheel! I now have a S70 T5 which has 205/55/16 tires. The difference between the 50 series tires and the 55 series tires is very significant. Not only do I get a better ride quality, I no longer worry about losing a tire or wheel in a pothole. I had a Cross Country as a loaner car last week. It had 205/65/15 tires. The extra sidewall on these tires made for a completely different and superior ride quality over the 55 series tires on my S70. Unless you really feel the need to run around corners at full throttle I would definately recommend an upgrade in size to 205/55/16 tires. You'll need to check with the tire dealer's book to be sure they will fit you car. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Thanks.
-rdo
russell.ollie@ibm.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Michelin Pilot MXM 205/50/ZR16 tires on Volvo 850 T

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.