Re: SUV tires: Dunlop Radial Rover vrs Michelin LTX ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on December 21, 1998 at 23:26:59:

In Reply to: SUV tires: Dunlop Radial Rover vrs Michelin LTX ??? posted by Niles on December 18, 1998 at 19:25:18:

Two days ago I bought the Michelin X Radial LT from Costco ("same" tire as LTX M/S, but the "wholesale/club" version). I moved to them from the '95 Ranger 4x4 OEM Firestone Wilderness AT (just OK, not good, tires MHO).

I started a thread in rec.autos.4x4 (and tried comparing below in the "LTX A/T or M/S" thread) on the same Radial Rover vs. LTX M/S subject. There are 5 flavors of the Dunlop Radial Rover (6 if you include the Radial Mud Rover). I was trying to compare specifically the Radial Rover P-Metric to the Michelin LTX M/S because of owner recommendations and the Jan. '96 Consumer Reports article. I've gotten several comments from those experienced with each. However, the only ones able to compare the two directly were CR and salesmen. *sigh*. The summary from my findings is below...

Overall, both tires are good choices in the mainly on-road / light off-road category, with the Rover being better off road.

Build:
The Michelin sidewalls are stiffer, which give you more of the big bumps, but also yields good handling response. I was surprised to find the Rover to have more load capacity. I've heard more than a few comment of tire delamination and side separation with the Rovers. Dunlop was good on the warrantee replacement, but I don't want that kind of danger or hassle.

Noise:
If not the quietest, the LTX M/S is said to be right up there. It doesn't give the "truck" or "AT" tire "womp", groan, or roar. With the windows up it does give a noticeable "whoosh" or "hiss" (like the white noise from a jet engine, if that makes sense). Geez, I guess you could say it's like a car tire. Open the window any amount and the tire noise is imperceptible.

Traction/Handling:
On-Road
Both tires have good wet and dry traction. Consumer Reports showed the Rover to stop 3% shorter on wet and dry pavement w/ ABS. 10% better w/o ABS. The tires rec'd equal ratings from CR for cornering and handling. Owners seem to be more positive on the LTX's handling characteristics. I've been told by a few people that the LTX M/S is the best available tire for snow traction without going to a dedicated snow tire. I'll let you know my biased opinion if it ever snows :-(
Off-Road
The Rover outperforms on slimy rocks, wet logs, grass, or moss. The LTX does OK (just OK) in mud, and again, the Rover outperforms.

Life/Cost:
The Rover claims 10% more tire life, but Consumer Reports posted measurably lower rolling resistance (equals higher gas mileage) with the LTX. In New Jersey, the Radial Rover P-Metric 265/75-15 is $92 at Sears, the LTX M/S 31x10.5-15 is $139 at Sears, X Radial LT 31x10.5-15 is $103 at Costco. Costco doesn't sell Dunlops.

Hope this helps! Anyone with experience, please post.

-Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: SUV tires: Dunlop Radial Rover vrs Michelin LTX ???

Comments:

Optional:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tires BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Back to Autopedia Home Page

email image

Last modified 12/27/96. Copyright ©1995, 1996 by AUTOPEDIA, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA, AUTO411, CAR-IQ, DEALERPEDIA, INTERLOT, SIMULSEARCH and INTERQUOTE-RFP are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.