UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  AutoPedia® Bulletin Board System
  Tires
  Yokohama AVID H4 vsPirelli P6000 sportv. vs Dunlop SP Sport 5000

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Yokohama AVID H4 vsPirelli P6000 sportv. vs Dunlop SP Sport 5000
ibemark
Associate Member
posted April 13, 2000 10:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ibemark   Click Here to Email ibemark     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have an Infiniti Q45 with 16 inch (+1) rims. My Goodyear Eagle 225X55X16 which came with the car wore out too quickly. I liked the handling, but ride was a bit too stiff and noisy on bumps. Considering Yokohama AVID H4, Pirelli P6000 SportVeloce and Dunlop SP Sport 5000. I drive in So. Calif. so snow not a problem, but rain occasionally is. Comments or any better choices that won't be too expensive (in either orig cost or wearing out quickly).

Thanks

IP: Logged

Jim
unregistered
posted April 15, 2000 04:07 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have a set of Yoko Avids and have been happy with them. Very Good in rain!

IP: Logged

Joseph
unregistered
posted April 16, 2000 07:55 AM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I am currently driving on the SP5000's(Z rated 16") from Dunlop. I replaced a set of Bridgestone Turanza Z's and had the Dunlop SP4000's & Michelin XGTZ4's (original, not current) prior to that. I will say with out question that for a luxury/touring high performance tire they are the best I have driven on in a while. I also have a set of the new Bridgestone Revo's (Z rated, 17") on another vehicle, although also excellent tires (only 2K miles so far) there are two noticeable differences. Noise, especialy cornering, the SP5000's are almost silient, where the Revo's have a definate "humm". And noticeable though to a lesser degree, the SP5000 also gets the "nod" on ride comfort. And yes I am taking into consideration that the Revo's are 17" and ther Dunlops are 16" (they are both close to the same overall hieght). Both are comparable in the wet, and better than any of the afore mentioned, ran previously.
On your vehicle you will be very happy with the SP5000's.

IP: Logged

rd
Associate Member
posted April 17, 2000 07:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rd   Click Here to Email rd     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ibemark:
I have an Infiniti Q45 with 16 inch (+1) rims. My Goodyear Eagle 225X55X16 which came with the car wore out too quickly. I liked the handling, but ride was a bit too stiff and noisy on bumps. Considering Yokohama AVID H4, Pirelli P6000 SportVeloce and Dunlop SP Sport 5000. I drive in So. Calif. so snow not a problem, but rain occasionally is. Comments or any better choices that won't be too expensive (in either orig cost or wearing out quickly).

Thanks



Suggest you go with the Pirelli 7000. I put 225/50 x16 on my 99MAX. Just returned from a 200 mile trip in heavy rain and the new tires hold like glue . . .and they are quiet. These are ZR rated.

Rich

IP: Logged

bill conroy
Member
posted April 17, 2000 05:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bill conroy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'd go with the brand new Brigestone Potenza RE730. Z speed rated, very quiet and good in the rain (AA rated). As a reference, they are $109 each at the Tire Rack. Good luck.

IP: Logged

ibemark
Associate Member
posted April 17, 2000 07:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ibemark   Click Here to Email ibemark     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks for info. You didn't mention the P6000's. Why the 7000 over them? don't they wear much faster? Rain normally (except today of courese)is usually not a big factor.

IP: Logged

ibemark
Associate Member
posted April 18, 2000 01:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ibemark   Click Here to Email ibemark     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bill conroy:
I'd go with the brand new Brigestone Potenza RE730. Z speed rated, very quiet and good in the rain (AA rated). As a reference, they are $109 each at the Tire Rack. Good luck.


How quiet? I don't need superperformance, but I sure like good handling tires. I have Goodyear Eagle ZR, which handles well, but a bit noisy and rough on grooves and concrete highways. Have you ever tried the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 in comparison?

IP: Logged

bill conroy
Member
posted April 18, 2000 02:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bill conroy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Dunlop SP Sport 5000 are an ultra high performance all-season tire. The Brigestone Potenza RE730 are an ultra high performance tire NOT all-season. The Bridgestone will have the better dry and wet performances over the Dunlop, by a little bit. They should both have similar tread life and quietness.

If you experience a few flakes of snow from time to time, go with the Dunlops. If you don't, then go for the non all-season tires. You won't regret it. If you experience snow/ice often, you don't want all-season tires on your Q45 anyway; you will want dedicated snow & ice tires in the winter.

The Goodyear Eagle ZRs, an older tire now, is a harsh riding tire. The newer tires above are much nicer riding (almost touring like) but will handle as well as your old Goodyears. With tire compound advances, they will last longer and will be markedly better in the rain. Your nice Q45 shouldn't have these Goodyears on them. You will think you have a new car once you get rid of them. Best wishes.

IP: Logged

ibemark
Associate Member
posted April 18, 2000 04:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ibemark   Click Here to Email ibemark     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bill conroy:
The Dunlop SP Sport 5000 are an ultra high performance all-season tire. The Brigestone Potenza RE730 are an ultra high performance tire NOT all-season. The Bridgestone will have the better dry and wet performances over the Dunlop, by a little bit. They should both have similar tread life and quietness.

If you experience a few flakes of snow from time to time, go with the Dunlops. If you don't, then go for the non all-season tires. You won't regret it. If you experience snow/ice often, you don't want all-season tires on your Q45 anyway; you will want dedicated snow & ice tires in the winter.

The Goodyear Eagle ZRs, an older tire now, is a harsh riding tire. The newer tires above are much nicer riding (almost touring like) but will handle as well as your old Goodyears. With tire compound advances, they will last longer and will be markedly better in the rain. Your nice Q45 shouldn't have these Goodyears on them. You will think you have a new car once you get rid of them. Best wishes.


Thanks. I decided to go with Dunlops, though after talking with Jake at Tirerack, the differences appear to be small overall.

IP: Logged

ejdavid
Associate Member
posted June 14, 2000 02:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ejdavid   Click Here to Email ejdavid     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Have you noticed any differences in straight line stability among these tires (SP 5000; Turanza Z; SP 4000; Revos etc). I do a LOT of long distance driving and don't like to tend the wheel just to go straight.

I am now running Turanza H tires on my Supercharged Lincoln Mark VII.

IP: Logged

MCJ
unregistered
posted June 16, 2000 03:31 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have AVID H4s on my Accord. Very unhappy with response. The sidewalls are way too flexible. A quick jerk of the wheel and you feel like the car is riding on jello. All other aspects of the AVIDs are fine. I had Mich MXV4s prior and the AVIDs were a shave below in ride and noise. Quality is fine. Just this response thing...abominable.

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | AutoPedia® - The Automotive Encyclopedia

Copyright ©1995-2008 by AUTOPEDIA®, all rights reserved. AUTOPEDIA®, AUTO411™, CAR-IQ™, DEALERPEDIA™, UNILOT™, SIMULSEARCH™ and INTERQUOTE-RFP™ are trademarks of AUTOPEDIA. All other trademarks, tradenames and/or service marks are the property of their respective holders.

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Version 5.41
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 1999.